I was not planning to post this recipe but after biting into this succulent and tasty morsel, I had to share the recipe. Sadly I only took two pics. But I promise to take more and edit the blog once I make this recipe again. It was incredibly easy to make, took only one hour and now I have leftovers for the rest of the week. Here are the ingredients:
- 1 young chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion (take off the skin and cut off the end)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp melted ghee (clarified butter)
- chopped fresh rosemary
- bunch of fresh rosemary
- 8 strips of bacon
- a dutch oven with a lid
- kitchen rope
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Add the chopped rosemary to the melted ghee.
- Let it sit while you prep the chicken so the flavor infuses. While the oven heats, remove the insides from your chicken and discard.
- Dry the inside and outside of your chicken with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle your chicken with salt inside and out.
- Put the onion, lemon, and rosemary inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Tie the legs of the chicken together with the rope.
- Put your chicken in the dutch oven.
- Take your rosemary ghee and brush it over the chicken.
- Place the bacon strips over the chicken so it is covered.
- Cover your dutch oven and bake at 425 for 25 minutes.
- When the 25 minutes are up, take out the chicken, but DO NOT turn off the oven.
- Remove the bacon and discard.
- Cover the dutch oven and put back in the oven for another 35 minutes.
- When the 35 minutes are up, take out the chicken, let it rest for a few minutes, carve and enjoy.
The best thing about this Rosemary Bacon Roasted Chicken Recipe, you can easily alter it. Instead of lemon, try a different citrus fruit. Instead of rosemary, try a different herb. Leave out the bacon and just cook it for an hour. The possibilities are endless.
Want more roasted chicken recipes? Click here.