The Easy Bake Oven inspired the love of cooking in many of us during our childhood. Katch Executive Chef Chad Bowser was among us. The Easy Bake led to working at “Feast” which catered to some of California’s top celebs. From there, he went on to become Sous Chef at Mary Brownstein Catering with Chef Will Burgess. He soon became Executive Chef of AMF’s flagship 300 NYC and worked as Sous Chef to Chef Jesus Nunez at Gastroarte (which was fan-freakin-tastic). Together, they opened opened two restaurants in NYC – Barraca, which specialized in traditional Spanish tapas, and Melibea, which was a modern take on Mediterranean dishes.
In May, Chef Bowser started his own adventure, the Astoria Brewery “Katch”. His vision was that of an upscale pub featuring only fresh (never frozen) dishes. He’s becom famous for the “Katch Shock Top Chicken Tenders” (raspberry beer infused tenders), “Katch Pizza” (a basil pesto white pizza with prosciutto, heirloom cherry tomatoes and arugula) and “BBQ Burger” (a house made burger patty 80/20 beef, three hour smoked oxtail, homemade bacon, homemade pickles, red onion, house made bbq sauce on an English muffin).
We asked Chef Chad Bowser of his philosophy on cooking. He told us, “I believe the most important thing about being a chef is to learn everything you can about cooking, foods and flavors and then throw all that out the window and work without rules. Never be afraid to try anything no matter how off the grid. That is how great dishes are created.”
He shared his recipe of Sweet Smoked Lime Jalapeno Chicken Wings. And when we asked him why it’s a perfect recipe for fall, he explains by saying, “I love these wings because they aren’t traditional. They are smoky, sweet and spicy so they bring in the heat with the sweet.”
Sweet Smoked Lime Jalapeno Chicken Wings
- 4 oz onion powder
- 4 oz garlic (chopped)
- 4 oz brown sugar
- 8 oz cilantro (chopped)
- 8 oz jalapeno (seeds removed and minced)
- 3 cup fresh lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 carrots (cut into sticks)
- 2 celery stalks (cut into sticks)
- Set the smoker to 265 degrees. Rinse the chicken wings in cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl toss wings in salt and black pepper. Place wings in the smoker for 45 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- For the sauce mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and store in an air tight container. This can be made 2 days ahead of time.
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. On a large sheet pan lay out wings and bake until wings are crispy about 25 minutes. Place wings in a large mixing bowl and toss with the sauce and serve. Garnish the plate with celery sticks and carrot sticks.
Katch Brewery & Grill is located at 31-19 Newtown Ave Astoria, NY 11102.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday – 4pm – 2am
Friday 4pm — 3am
Saturday – Sunday — 11 am – 3am