South African born Chef Toni Willard-Young, has been creating her own culinary adventures for over 20 years. Chef Toni has catered events for NY/NJ politicians, the South African Embassy, international style doyenne, Audrey Smaltz, and more. Chef Toni has contributed her knowledge and expertise as a cooking specialist for the Westside YMCA, and as a cooking teacher for an after school enrichment club on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Now, she heads Chef Toni’s Cooking Adventures, where she teaches children (and adults) how to Cook, Eat, & Play With Love. We asked her to share a summer recipe that kids would love. She shared her Strawberry cupcake cones recipe:
Chef Toni says that “summertime desserts should be light and sweet and FUN…and this Strawberry Cupcake Cones recipe is just that! The combination of fresh strawberries and a good quality strawberry yogurt mixed into dough, are super yummy and refreshing. Baked into cones and dipped into chocolate, this delightful dessert is an all-around hit with the party.
Another great thing about these Strawberry Cupcake Cones is that they are super easy for you and the kids to make… perfect for parties, play dates, and sleep overs!”
Strawberry Cupcake Cones
(Makes 20 servings)
- 2 cups
- all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) strawberry
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 20 ice cream
- cake cones (about 3 inches tall)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Colored sprinkles
Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl beat eggs, yogurt, oil and strawberries, stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Place the ice cream cones in muffin cups; spoon 2 heaping tablespoons batter in each cone.
- Bake at 375° for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center come out clean.
- Cool completely.
- In a microwave melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip muffin tops in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Decorate with sprinkles.
Chef Toni’s Cooking Adventures is located at 150 West 92nd Street, Ste 1E, New York, NY 10025.