Scores Become Sick After Eating at World’s Best Restaurant

1x1.trans Scores Become Sick After Eating at Worlds Best RestaurantLast year, the Copenhagen restaurant Noma, was voted the best restaurant in the world for the third consecutive year. Dinner for two at the restaurant can cost upwards of $900 with wine.

But according to the Copenhagen Post, 67 guests recently succumbed to vomiting and diarrhea after dining at Denmark’s most famous restaurant.

Over a four-day period, 63 out of 78 guests who dined in the restaurant became sick.

Danish authorities inspected the restaurant on February 20, after receiving reports that restaurant guests, who dined at Noma between February 12-16, had become ill with Roskilde Sickness — a norovirus that causes vomiting and diarrhea.

The food agency’s inspection revealed a problem with hygiene. “There has been illness among staff who have handled the food products”, the agency wrote in its report.

“The inspection visit was due to guests complaining of vomiting and diarrhoea.”

The restaurant is aware of four additional people who have taken ill, which brings the total number of ill diners up to 67.

Danish authorities criticized Noma for not disinfecting the kitchen in time in order to prevent the contagion from spreading, and found there was no hot water in the taps for staff to wash their hands.

Danish chef René Redzepi developed Noma’s Nordic Cuisine concept of using fresh, organic ingredients found in the Nordic region.

Redzepi, instrumental in making Nordic cuisine known to the world food culture, was named one of the top 100 influential people by Time magazine.

“We think that food from our region deserves to have a voice in the choir of the worlds other great cuisines,” said Noma co-owner Claus Meyer in his New Nordic Cuisine manifesto.

A similar event took place in 2009, when at chef Heston Blumenthal’s three Michelin starred restaurant, The Fat Duck, near London, hundreds of diners reported becoming ill between late January through February of that year.

Blumenthal canceled more than 500 reservations and lost $140,000 weekly in bookings. Blumenthal’s pub, The Hinds Head, located next door also received cancellations.

The restaurant reopened in March 2009 under a veil of mystery until the cause of the illness was later determined to also be from norovirus, which originated from oysters harvested from beds contaminated with sewage by Colchester Oyster Fishery Limited.

1x1.trans Scores Become Sick After Eating at Worlds Best RestaurantThe virus was spread further after being contracted by staff members, and was the largest norovirus outbreak ever recorded at a restaurant.

The Uk’s HPA, investigating the outbreak, said the bug was detected in six staff and eight diners, and resulted in a “weaknesses” in how staff illness was dealt with.

Based on staff interviews, sickness records and samples taken, staff worked while still infected with norovirus, the agency stated.

It also revealed the number of cases of reported illness among customers, going back to late January, had risen to 529.

Learn more about food borne illness and how to prevent it.

1x1.trans Scores Become Sick After Eating at Worlds Best Restaurant
Inquisitive foodie with a professional investigative background and strong belief in the organic farm to table movement. Author of Bad Seeds: A FriendsEAT Guide to GMO's. Buy Now!
1x1.trans Scores Become Sick After Eating at Worlds Best Restaurant
1x1.trans Scores Become Sick After Eating at Worlds Best Restaurant

Latest posts by Spence Cooper (see all)

Comments

What is FriendsEAT?

FriendsEAT is an online social community for foodies. Our blog is the pulse of what's going on in the culinary community. Join the hundreds of thousands people following FriendsEAT.

Contact FriendsEAT:
us @ friendseat.com

The Team

Follow FriendsEAT on

Popular Articles

Sorry. No data so far.

Disclaimer

The opinions in this blog are the sole opinion of the authors and in no way reflect views of Binary Bits, LLC.