Born and raised in Crete, Chef Petros Kosmadakis, learned the secrets of the local cuisine at an early age at their own home, under the guidance of his grandmother. He went on to pursue his passion when he attended the School of Tourism.
At a very young age of 21, Chef Petros supervised a hotel kitchen, then worked at a famous restaurant in Rethymno named “Avli.”
His love for Crete is the reason why he hasn’t left the island. He decided to stay and work on the land that makes the most fragrant of herbs.
Chef Petros’ imagination and talent, further enhanced by the pure Cretan raw ingredients he uses, made him a force to reckon with in Greek cuisine. And that was put to the ultimate test when he became the Executive Chef at Lato Boutique Hotel, where he manages three concepts — Brilliant Gourmet Restaurant, Herbs’ Garden Restaurant, and Aroma a la carte Restaurant.
The recipe is Pork with Quinces. This particular recipe reminds Chef Petros the family dinners prepared by his grandmother.
When asked why the recipe is perfect for fall, Chef Petros says, “The quince, also known as the ‘golden apple,’ is a healthy and delicious autumnal fruit. Cooked with pork meat, becomes a favorite delicacy of many Cretan families.”
Pork with Quinces
- 1 kg pork (preferably shoulder)
- 1 kg quinces
- ½ glass of olive oil
- ½ kg grated ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt, freshly grated pepper
- Grated nutmeg
- Chop the meat into medium pieces, wash them thoroughly and let them drain.
- Let the meat sizzle in olive oil and turn for 10? until it becomes brown.Add the water, the nutmeg, salt and pepper and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
- Afterwards add fresh tomato and tomato paste (diluted in ½ glass of water)
- Cover the pot until the meat is half cooked.
- Peel the quinces and put them in the pot, then add the sugar and a little bit of water. (the quinces should be covered with the sauce)
- Cook slowly for another ½ hour, stirring the pot from time to time.
- Tip: Finish your dish a few minutes with fresh ‘dictamos’ leaves. The herb is native to Greece, but a sprig of Rosemary is a good alternative.
Lato Boutique Hotel is located at 15 Epimenidou street, 712 02 Heraklion, Crete, Greece[mappress mapid="60"]
Hours of Operation
Aroma Restaurant hosts the breakfast area everyday and welcomes guests to enjoy its rich buffet.
Herbs’ Garden Restaurant operates daily from 13:00 till later at night, during May to early October.
Brillant Restaurant is open daily from November to April, from 13:00 till late at night.+