This is a guest post by Susan Zechter, the author of the 2012 Celebrity HotSpots Los Angeles Restaurant Guide: Where Your Fave Celebs Dine and the companion guide 2012 Celebrity HotSpots Bars and Clubs Guide: Where Your Fave Celebs Party. Susan is a devoted foodie, pop culture fan, mixologist, and world traveler. Her creative nature led her to a career in marketing where she was in charge of companies such as Estee Lauder/Aramis, Giorgio Beverly Hills, Nestle, Mattel and FX Networks. She is now having fun writing local city guides with a celebrity spin and giving us a tips on the best ways to spot our favorite celebs.
Both her books are available on Amazon.com (see links above). Hungry for more? Check out http://www.celebhotspots.com
The Greening of Hollywood: Movies, Celebrities and Restaurants
But Hollywood is no longer all about gold. Green is becoming a statement in and of itself. Green as in eco-friendly, that is. Just take at a look at the overwhelming winner of this weekend’s box office “The Lorax” (loosely based on the 1971 Dr. Seuss book), which brought in over $70mm. The film conveys an environmental-friendly message. Specifically; trees must be protected, and the planet needs to be nurtured. In this case, it can be said that Hollywood created a movie about “going green” and was rewarded with a lot of green!
The entertainment world has also actively begun making green, eco-friendly choices by supporting a variety of Green initiatives conceived of and led by celebrity names:
• The Green Carpet Challenge (initiated by Colin Firth’s wife, Livia)
• Red Carpet Green Dress Challenge (Suzi Amis Cameron’s designer competition)
Among the trendsetters were Oscar best actress winner, Meryl Streep, wearing a Lanvin custom-made designer dress–the first ever gown made from eco-certified fabric; Missi Pyle (The Artist actress) dressed in a cruelty-free, mineral dyed Peace Silk gown; and Actors Demian Bichir and Kenneth Branagh both sporting sustainable Ermenegildo Zegna tuxedos made with eco-friendly wool.
Additionally, health and eco-conscious celebrities are flocking to casual and upscale “Certified Green Restaurants.” From coast to coast there are a growing number of restaurants that have earned this admirable designation from the Green Restaurant Assn., a national non-profit organization whose aim is to steer the restaurant industry towards ecological sustainability.
These “Certified Green” Celebrity HotSpots are doing their part to save the planet, along with the supporting cast of celebs who have been spotted dining green:
1. Le Pain Quotidien – West Hollywood (and other locations)
Le Pain Quotidien, whose name is French for “the daily bread”, is an international chain of casual restaurants that serve “simple, elegant boulangerie fare.” Best-known for their organic bread and signature tartines, Le Pain Quotidien has been a Certified Green Restaurant since 2006 resulting from sustainable measures taken including:
• Sourcing organic ingredients whenever they can and building lasting and meaningful partnerships with organic farmers.
• Using only organic stone-ground flour, salt, and water to make bread. Plus, kneading and shaping the bread by hand and baking it in a hearth.
• Utilizing only reclaimed wood and recycled Gypsum in construction, energy-efficient lamps, and environmentally friendly cleaning supplies and packaging.
• Ensuring all furniture, including their signature communal table, is made from reclaimed wood
In Los Angeles and New York, lots of celebrities have been spotted enjoying breakfast, lunch or a late afternoon snack at various Le Pain Quotidien restaurants. Hang out at these locations, and if you are lucky, you just might spot one of these–or the many other celebs–that frequent these hotspots:
• West Hollywood: Wladimir Klitschko, Hayden Panettiere, Lea Michele, Jessica Alba, Malin Akerman, Lisa Rinna, Elizabeth Berkley, Cash Warren, Neve Campbell
• Beverly Hills: Katie Holmes, Kelly Rutherford, Reese Witherspoon
• Brentwood: Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, Mike White
• New York City (50 W 72nd St) – Renee Zellweger
• New York City (124 7th Ave) - Katie Holmes , Amanda Peet
Osteria Mozza has received a prestigious Michelin Star rating and is a foodie favorite. This Celebrity HotSpot is known for its massive mozzarella bar and all-Italian wine list amidst a sophisticated but lively environment. It has also earned highly respectable 3-star Certified Green Restaurant status as a result of these actions and more:
• Using no polystyrene foam (Styrofoam). Full-scale recycling and local farmers pick up organic matter for compost and waste grease for fuel.
• Printing on recycled and chlorine-free paper. Purchasing products with high levels of post-consumer recycled content.
• Implementing Water Efficient Faucet Aerators on all kitchen hand sinks.
• Serving only NATURA™ water in reuseable carafes. No bottled water.
Two of the most well-known celebrity chefs, Nancy Silverton and Mario Batali are owners of this chic Italian restaurant, in addition to one other partner, Joe Bastianich. Between the three of them, they have received an impressive number of James Beard Foundation awards including Pastry Chef of the Year, Outstanding Chef of the Year, Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional” and “Outstanding Restaurateur.”
Osteria Mozza draws an A-list crowd of celebrities. Superstars Christina Aguilera, David Beckham, Rihanna, Victoria Beckham, Eva Longoria, and Jennifer Lopez have all dined at this extremely popular restaurant. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has even been spotted enjoying a Valentine’s Day dinner at this Celebrity HotSpot.
These restaurants and celebrities have taken the lead and have set an excellent example. Let’s hope other restaurants are green with envy and seize the golden opportunity to help save the planet, while bright stars shine within!