Mojitos aren’t exactly the healthiest of cocktails. They’re traditionally made with sugar, mint, and rum…which means they are an easy road to a hangover. We went to Sarah O’Toole, a wellness enthusiast, to get a healthier version of the Mojito. Sarah is the Co-founder of The Non-Profit The Healthetarians and is currently working on Cooking with CSA with her fiancé Peter to help people eat better. Each week she sends members 5 plant-based, gluten free recipes based on what produce is currently in season. Without further ado, here’s Sarah’s Kombucha Mojito recipe.
Love Mojitos but not the alcohol? If so then this Mojito is for you! It uses kombucha a fermented tea beverage with all your favorite mojito ingredients. We must warn you some kombuchas do contain up to 3% alcohol
- 1 bottle of GT’S Original Kombucha (found at your local health food store)
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 5 mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 3-4 strawberries (optional)
- Ice cubes
- In a small bowl muddle the mint, orange zest, juice, coconut sugar and strawberries (if using).
- Next pour muddled mixture into 2 glasses.
- Add ice cubes and kombucha, stir and serve.