Bill and Hayley are known as the go-to source for information on the Paleo diet. They started off with The Food Lovers Primal Palate in 2010 and are now the bestselling authors of “Make it Paleo,” “The 30-Day Guide to Paleo Cooking,” and “Gather: The Art of Paleo Entertaining.
The book focuses on simple, delicious recipes and beautiful photography. Bill & Hayley share their passion for dining, entertaining, and healthy living with others. We asked them to share a Paleo recipe they felt was perfect for the fall and Hayley told us: “My dad doesn’t cook often, but when he does, the result is something to behold. He has been making his famous chiffon pumpkin pie for the better part of four decades. It was bold on our part to reinvent this recipe as a grain-free alternative, but after some refinement, it finally got Dad’s seal of approval. This is sure to be a staple at our holiday dinners for years to come”
Paleo Pumpkin Pie
Prep Time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
• 1 Almond Flour Pie Crust (Recipe below)
• 1 Tbsp Unflavored Gelatin (Knox brand)
• 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, Organic, optional
• 1/2 cup Almond Milk, unsweetened
• 1/2 tsp Ginger Root
• 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 16 oz Pumpkin Puree
• 2/3 cup Maple Syrup, Grade B
• 3 Eggs, Pastured, separated
• 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1. Make an almond flour pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan.
2. In a saucepan combine gelatin, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin, egg yolks, and almond milk.
3. Mix thoroughly.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it boils.
5. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
6. Once the pan is cool enough, put the filling in the fridge to chill until set.
7. Beat egg whites until stiff.
8. Once pumpkin filling has cooled and set in the fridge, remove from fridge and fold pumpkin filling into the whipped egg whites.
9. Pour filling into pie crust.
10. Cover pie with plastic wrap and cool in the fridge until set.
11. An optional topping is to whip heavy cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
For the Crust
• 2 1/2 cup Almond Meal/Flour
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/2 cup Palm Oil Shortening, Organic
• 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup, Grade B
• 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (make sure to melt the palm shortening before mixing it into the batter, about 40 seconds in the microwave does the trick).
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
5. Pat the dough into a 9-inch glass pie dish, and bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden.
6. Remove from oven to cool