Southern Season Cooking School has become not just a local, but national favorite. Marilyn Markel heads the Chapel Hill location and is known for her love of food which was passed down from her grandmother.
Markel began her career as an instructor at the Central Market cooking school in Plano, Texas. Chapel Hill soon called her attention, and there, she developed CLASS (Culinary Lessons at Southern Season), Southern Season’s brand new cooking school. The cooking school has become a foodie destination which holds over 300 classes a year for professional and budding cooks.
Markel teaches quite a lot of the classes, but she has also brought on some pretty heavy hitters for her students including Martin Yan, Caprial and John Pence, Masaharu Morimoto, Daisy Martinez and Shirley Corriher.
We could think of no better person to go to for a quintessential fall recipe. Marilyn immediately thought of wings (after all, fall would not be the same without football). She said “I absolutely love fall recipes, specifically if a tailgate is involved. My grandfather played football for Vanderbilt and attended every game he could until he was well into his 80’s, so it’s definitely a family tradition.”
I think you will enjoy Marilyn’s wings as much as I do.
2 cups Lemon Pepper Marinade (Vela Farms)
3 pounds chicken wings, split, rinsed and patted dry
1 recipe Crumbled Blue Cheese Dressing, recipe follows
1. Place the chicken wings in a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Add the marinade, press out the air, and seal the bag tightly. Refrigerate 6 hours or up to overnight.
2. Remove the wings from the marinade and let drain. Reserve some of the marinade for basting.
3. Grill wings indirectly for 30 minutes until juices run clear. Brush wings generously with reserved sauce and grill directly over heat until crisp basting a couple of times, about 5 minutes total.
4. Serve with other half of the sauce, celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.
Blue Cheese Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
¼ tsp salt
6 oz blue cheese, crumbled
1. Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, Worcestershire, salt and blue cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Southern Season Cooking School is located at University Mall – 201 S. Estes Drive in Chapel Hill, NC 27514 877-929-7133
Hours of Operation
Mon – Thu: 8am – 8pm
Fri – Sat: 8am – 9pm
Sun: 10am – 7pm