What does a lobster roll made by two James Beard Award winning chefs taste like? It tastes like heaven. Lucky for us that Chefs Mark Gaier and Clark Frasier of Arrows restaurant in Ogunquit, ME are generous with their recipe, now you can make it at home.
This recipe for the ultimate lobster originates at MC Perkins Cove. This is their more casual restaurant featuring classic New England fare with ocean views that are simply gorgeous.
What makes a lobster roll “Ultimate”? The chefs have certain criteria for their Classic Lobster Roll, it must be a “top-loader,” buttered and grilled, with plenty of house-made lemon mayo. The roll is sprinkled with fresh herbs from the Arrows garden, accompanied by a pickle and French fries.
Try this recipe at home, and when you visit the restaurant, ask for the Lobster PLT. In this version, salty pancetta plays off the creamy, sweet lobster, combined with sliced garden tomatoes from the Arrows garden, arugula, and house-made tarragon mayonnaise atop toasted sourdough bread.
“To us, lobster rolls our the epitome of summer. MC Perkins Cove is literally a stone’s throw from the lobster boats, and our take on this Maine classic is one of our signature items. For a riff on the original, we’ll include a bit of pancetta, a great salty contrast o the creamy sweet lobster.”
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 4 live lobsters (about 1 1/4 pounds each)
- 1 1/2 cups mayo
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 top loading hot dug buns
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped tarragon, parsley, chervil, chives
- To prepare the lobsters, fill a large heavy pot or standard clam steamer pot with the water and the kosher salt. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Place the lobsters in the pot and cover tightly. Boil for 14 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and carefully pour the lobsters and the water into a deep sink or colander. Cover with ice for about 10 minutes. Take the meat out of the shell.
- Cut the lobster meat and place in a bowl. Toss with the mayonnaise and lemon juice. Slather the outside of the rolls with butter and quickly grill on both sides either in a skilled or on an outdoor grill. Fill the grilled rolls with lobster salad. Combine the herbs, mix well, and sprinkle over the salad. Serve immediately.
Arrows Restaurant is located at 41 Berwick Rd, Ogunquit, ME 03907, United States
MC Perkins Cove is located at 111 Perkins Cove Road in Ogunquit, ME 03907