Chef Hervé joined The FCI in 2006 where he teaches students in the classic culinary program new technologies such as sous vide and low temperature cooking. His culinary experience and adventurous nature (ask him about Africa if you ever get to meet him) is also put to good use testing new recipes for L’École. Chef Malivert is always aiming to take the food to new heights.
Chef Hervé comes from a French Culinary background. His father was a Cheese maker the Rhône region of France. He would accompany his father on his cheese deliveries to restaurants.
The complexity of French cooking from his homeland, and influences from Paul Bocuse and Roger Vergé shaped his culinary aesthetic. If you are lucky enough to live (or visit) NYC, make sure to check out L’Ecole, where Chef Malivert’s students show off their knowledge.
We asked Chef Malivert to share a Summer recipe with us. He told us that “this dishes inspiration was New York, I just walk to the green market in union square and pick: produce, cheese, and eggs, and create my adaptation of Greek salad, with local ingredients.”
For the salad
- 1 pint cherry tomato
- 1 lb of feta cheese
- 1 L champagne vinegar
- 200-ml extra virgin oil
- S/P to taste
For the Olive oil jam
- 3 egg yolk cooked at 66°C
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ½ oz Glucose
- S/ cayenne to taste
For the pistou
- 2-Bunches basil blanched
- 1 clove of garlic confit
- 1 cup olive oil
- Micro basil
For the tomato
- Blanche and peel the tomatos, cut the large one in square keep the cherry in one piece
- Combine champagne vinegar with thyme, salt pepper, add the oil,
- Gently toss the tomato with the champagne vinaigrette and set aside at room temperature.
For the pistou
- In a blender, combine the basil, garlic, add the oil in slow steady stream until mixture is smooth, and try for seasoning transfer to a squeeze bottle.
For the egg yolk
- In a blender place yolks. Add half of the olive oil, in a slow steady stream and puree until smooth.
- Blend in the glucose, add the remaining oil, season. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.