Chef Hervé Malivert’s motto is “Make food, not war!”. We completely agree with his message. Chef Hervé is part of the International Culinary Center where he teaches students in the classic culinary program new technologies such as sous vide and low temperature cooking. His culinary skill is also put to good use testing new recipes for L’École, ICC’s restaurant, where students show off their newly acquired skills.
We asked Chef Malivert to share a Summer recipe with us. He chose his Greenmarket salad with lobster and told us: “This inspiration was created this past Wednesday, by walking in the union square Market. It’s a amazing how the inspiration comes to you when navigating between the farm stands. Of course I didn’t find the lobster, orange and potatoes at the market.”
Try out the recipe, and next time you’re in town, check out L’Ecole. Fabulous place for a meal.
For the salad
- 2 red leaf baby lettuces
- 2 green leaf baby lettuces
- 3 to 4 union square green market selection
- 200-gr fresh peas
- 200-gr fava beans
- 200-gr Fiddleheads ferns
- 2 oranges
- 200-gr mixed color baby fingerling
- 1 bunch chervil picked
- Champagne vinegar to taste
- 150 to 200-ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lobster 1 ¼
- Clean and cut the lettuce to bite side.
- To depend of the selection from the green market clean and prep the selection.
- Peler a vif the oranges, remove the supreme, and squeeze out the juice from the left over and reserve the juice for vinaigrette.
- Cook the peas, fiddleheads and fava beans in boiling salted water.
- Using a mandoline, slice the fingerling potatoes unpeeled to make chips size, and reserve in cold water to wash out the extra starch.
- Saute the potatoes to achieve a crisp and light golden color.
- Cook the lobster in boiling salted water for 7 minutes chock in ice and remove from the shell
For the vinaigrette
- In a bowl combine the orange juice, salt, pepper, and a touch of champagne vinegar.
- Add the 150 to 200 of extra virgin olive oil, to depend of the quantity of orange juice you have, taste for seasoning and acidity.
For the plaiting
- Toasted the salads with the vinaigrette and place on a plate.
- Toast the favas, and peas with the vinaigrette, scatter on top of the salad add few orange supreme, potatoes chips, and chervil
- Add half lobster toasted in vinaigrette if request
The International Culinary Center is located at 462 Broadway, New York, NY, United States